7 Steps to Falling in Love Again…with your clothes
October 22, 2014 by The Image Expert
Do you absolutely love the clothes that are in your closet? “No-o-o,” is usually the resounding response. In today’s world, people do not plan their wardrobe in any sense of the word. They run to the store at the last minute and grab what ever suits their fancy for the occasion. There is virtually no thought given as to how the pieces fit their body, their psyche, or into their existing wardrobe–pieces that were never quite right but we stubbornly try to make work.
The pieces end up at the end of your closet rod, never to be worn again–and yes, they make a lot of people feel guilty about the waste. With a closet full of odds and ends, people are not prepared for the places they need or want to go. I hear this lament wherever I go to speak. Often, as a result, the person just sits at home becoming the common couch potato. That’s not healthy, not physically nor mentally. We need to plan for the clothes that give life to our lives.
Plan to take advantage of future opportunities as they pop up. Put the clothes in your closet that provide you with the looks you like, that reflect or project who you are and what you are all about–clothes that work like tools to succeed in a wide range of situations or occasions. Whether we pay full price or purchase on sale, people who appreciate and love to wear their clothes shop with a purpose, with intent. I call this strategic shopping and dressing – in clusters.
- Find a source of inspiration – a pattern of colors in a print, stripe, or plaid – to inspire the color scheme of your cluster. She used the scarves (above) for inspiration.
- Plan for 5 to 8 easy pieces of clothing – top and bottom pieces.
- Select pieces that are basic – simple in style lines and shape.
- Select pieces that go together – will work with at least three, four, or more other pieces.
- Select pieces that are distinctly different from one another – no two pieces alike, not yet.
- Select accessories to go with the clothes – essential basic accessories first.
- Gradually expand your cluster(s) – to meet all your wardrobe needs. This expanded cluster of 8 pieces will create weeks of interesting looks!
Still not feeling the love from your clothing? Contact us. We’ll help you reconnect with the pieces that make you look and feel fabulous! Call 801-224-1207 or find us HERE.