It’s the holidays! The time of year when we love to pull out the bling, or shop for something new that sparkles. With the dim evening lighting, something with a little shimmer or shine plays off the lights beautifully and makes a fun statement this time of year. A word of caution: just because the clothing has sparkles doesn’t mean it works. (Unless, of course, you are 4 years old. Then it always works!) Knowing that many of you are looking for that lovely holiday outfit, we have eight tips to consider for your smart shopping success.
- Plan for time to try on the clothes you’re shopping for.
- If it zips, it doesn’t mean it fits. Take two or three sizes into the fitting room with you. What is labeled small, medium, large or extra-large varies from brand to brand and possibly even item to item.
- When wearing each garment, ask yourself, “Where could I wear this?” “Will this get me the raise / date / recognition I’m looking for?” “What will this do for me?”
- Move around, walk, reach, stretch, bend, and sit. Can you move comfortably? Can you breathe?
- How do you look in a full-length mirror? Leave your dressing room and find a mirror where you can step back several feet for a different vantage point.
- If it’s too short, check the hem allowance to see if it can be let down.
- If it puckers or pulls, the garment is too small for your body. Let it go, or go up a size.
- Give yourself a break. Stop for a healthy drink or snack to rest and relax rather than make a rash decision or give up too soon.
Expect success and you will often find it. Happy Holidays!